Hello Region 5 HFMA Members!! My name is Renee Jordan and I am the 2016-2017 Regional Executive (RE) for Region 5. Not only am I honored to be an RE, but I’m extremely honored to represent one of the strongest regions in HFMA! As many of you know, there are eleven regions consisting of the various chapters. Region 5 consists of five very strong chapters – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee. And together we make a powerhouse region. Let me start by telling you a little about myself. I hail from the Florida chapter where I have been a member since 1999. I served on several committees and held a few director/officer positions before becoming the chapter president in 2013-2014. My “daytime job” is at Bacen & Jordan, P.A. where I am a partner. The firm represents providers in reimbursement resolutions matters. I am blessed with a wonderful husband, Fred, and two amazing children, Jacob (18) and Abigail (15). Now I’d like to tell you about the role of Regional Executive.
The Regional Executive will:
- Serve as the primary volunteer and policy link between the chapters and the Association
- Assist chapter leaders in serving members
- Promote and lead change efforts to drive HFMA’s strategies
- Represent the needs and interests of chapter leaders to the HFMA Board and staff
- Encourage chapters to collaborate and help other chapters
- Serve on the Regional Executive Council which sets policy and goals related to the Chapter Balanced Score Card (CBSC), Davis Chapter Management System, and Founders Merit Award Program. Conduct ongoing communication with chapters to encourage and support positive performance, and provide guidance in areas where chapters are facing challenges.
- Attend chapter meetings to network with chapter leaders and volunteers, and show support for their activities.
- Talk with chapter presidents at least once per quarter to assess performance and report at Regional Executive Council meetings.
- Highlight best practices and share concerns.
- Help chapters develop and implement Chapter Advancement Plans
In preparing to fulfill my role as RE, I was mentored by the 2015-2016 RE, Bill Matheney, who is a wonderful leader and a huge champion for HFMA and Region 5. I was also fortunate to have spent time with other past RE’s - Kim Shrewsbury, Cathy Dougherty, Jay Rickman and Dwight Tillman. Thanks to these leaders, I feel well equipped and ready to take on the role of RE. There are exciting opportunities for the HFMA chapters with many of the HFMA strategies being rolled out. I will be sharing this information with you in these quarterly news articles. One opportunity that I’m excited to report on is the new CBSC innovation goal and innovation fund. Last year, the Regional Executive Council (REC) modified the CBSC by adding 10 points for Innovation surrounding the HFMA Strategic Plan. Chapters can earn 10 points by presenting one new program that targets Physicians, Payers, Women in Leadership or Early Careerist. Additionally, the REC developed an Innovation Fund to help the Chapters with the cost of their Innovation projects. Chapters can apply to HFMA National for up to $10,000 to support their Innovation project(s). I’m excited to see what the Chapters will do this year. I will be sharing this information and more with all of you throughout the year!!
Please look for me as I visit each chapter at one of their State conferences. I look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.